• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Baclofen

pushlost

Greenlighter
Anyone have any experience with this for annihilating drug cravings? I'm coming off eighteen years of pretty solid drug addiction and was interested in this chemical until I read about the withdrawl symptoms. Looking for people with actual personal experience.

I've read about myself - started by a french alcoholic Dr. amiesen or something. It is similar to phenibut but like phenibut has its own WD syndrome. Most people don't feel anything while on it as I understand.

I have never heard of Baclofen however something you may want to look into is supplementing with the amino acid L-Glutamine. I'm not going to claim it makes things easier but there are some studies out there that claim it helps people give up smoking and alchohol since during the withdrawal process the body is put under a lot of stress which is something this amino acid can help with.

I don't know about drug cravings I haven't had it for years, helped as a great sleep aid considering it's a muscle relaxant. It gave me crazy dreams though, always had a deep sleep on them but woke up feeling drowsy as hell.

my mother takes it for spasms; she has MS. I tried it recreationally a couple times and I didn't feel much of anything except sleepy. although I have never tried it in an attempt to help with cravings, I can't imagine it helping much but it may work for you. I read the report on the dr mentioned earlier and it doesnt seem that he any backing from the medical/scientific community - take that as you will. I would think there are much better options out there for you. Good luck

it helps for alcohol dependence - a Dr I worked with in Melbourne prescribes it for these reasons.

it affects Gaba so helps at low doses fill those receptors that have been stimulated on alcohol and . He reports pt's being able to still drink 1 glass but not the whole bottle. but that is all, and currently only on PBS for muscle relaxant and epilepsy. so not sure if your Dr will prescribe it or you can pay full price but that's only 35 or so.
here's from a talk by this D&A GP:
Vigabatrin – a 2 gram dose will elevated GABA levels in the brain by 300% in 90 minutes by blocking GABA breakdown
Baclofen – stimulates GABA B receptors
Acamprosate – is believed to stimulate GABA receptors and block Glutamate receptors

Baclofen - 10mg bd initially and increased over following weeks to 25mg bd

sorry no person exp with this

I currently take 300mg's daily to combat alcohol cravings, with success. It has been used successfully across other addictions, and with continued craving reductions at lower doses. Withdrawal applies after using it continuously for a long period, you have to taper off rather than abruptly cease. Abrupt cessation can cause seizures and psychotic episodes. Tapering off gently reduces this, and can be done with no side effects.

The drug is non-addictive.

Good luck

I have only taken baclofen as a muscle relaxer and it worked great for that but have never experienced any withdrawals but i also wasnt on it for to long.I also havent heard anything anywhere about the withdrawals.